Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Teaching Moments


At the end of the school year in May, many people asked me what I was planning to do with all my spare time come Fall. I had just relinquished my responsibilities as the Parent Teacher Organization president at the kids' school and spare time had forever seemed as likely to me as a trip to the moon.
Three months later... I am blissfully enjoying what must be "spare time". I am finding a renewed joy in being the manager of my home. I have spent the past week reorganizing and deep cleaning room by room and the satisfaction I feel is amazing. I am trying very hard to live by my new mantra: Beauty in simplicity.
With all the children in school, the house is cleaner and quieter. The first week I thought this was a wonderful thing. And although I love that my children learn all kinds of amazing things at school, I do miss them during the day. Jolie is the only one at home with me all day now. The children are growing up and becoming more and more independent. I wonder if I have done all that I need to for them- have I nurtured, in them, a healthy self-esteem? have I instilled in them the importance of living the gospel ALWAYS? have I shown, by example, the benefits of working hard and accomplishing goals?
And just when I think they are all getting too old to be my babies .... an amazing late night monsoon storm reminds me that they still need me to give them love and comfort, to brush their cheek as they lay next to me in bed and tell them the storm will soon pass.
Even though the many sleep disruptions last night have left me very bleery eyed this morning, my heart is happy that I have taught them that no matter how big they get, mom and dad will always be there for them.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That's got to be a strange bitter/sweet feeling. Our kids slept thru it all. Chris and I were looking out at our neighbors sky high palms just waiting for one to get struck!

Jo Dee said...

well said sister!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

k, I seriously just cried reading that. I love you Michelle :) Sean woke me up at 3:30 & then the thunder was so loud it took me an hour to fall back to sleep, which wouldn't have been that bad, except I had to get up for work at 5:30! Yuck!