Sunday, July 19, 2009

How to Spend a Perfect Birthday


So.... I've had quite a few people ask me why I did not have a huge party for my birthday this year considering it was a "BIG" one. Truth is, I did have one and you were just not invited.


Not really.


It is just that at this stage in my life (ok, who am I kidding) I've always just liked to spend time alone or with small groups. Big parties are just not my thing. Kinda low maintenance of me.. don't ya think?



With that in mind... I had the perfect day.



It began bright and early when I woke up next to the love of my life (which made me happy)
at 6:30 am ( which did not make me happy) and snuck out of the house to do a little yard sale jaunt- just the two of us. Chino was looking for a stereo receiver and I, the ever elusive church doctrine books. Unfortunately, we both came home empty handed but, had a lovely couple of hours hanging out and chatting between stops.





After returning home, having breakfast, doing some laundry and cleaning up a bit ( yes, moms still have to do chores on thier birthday- GASP!) I spent a little time outside in the gardens plucking, pruning, watering, and crying over the many plants that have not survived the horrible heat. October just cannot come fast enough.



After a freezing cold shower ( which felt amazing after being out in the Mesa convection oven) , a little makeup and hair fixing.. my BFF Jen came to take me to lunch.







Off to my favorite girlfriend lunch place of all times: Romeo's Euro Cafe where we feasted on the infamous feta fries, chatted, laughed, whispered, giggled and drooled over the amazing desserts (which we were far too full to eat) to our hearts content.



Jen brought me this lovely orchid, a loaf of homemade wheat bread and a list of 40 reasons she thinks I am special... which truly was the most thoughtful gift. AND I got to ride in her brand new car which is sporty and red and made feel a little movie starrish. THANKS JEN!!!






After a dash to the store to try to find Marscapone cheese for my B-day cake... I returned to find my Sister Nancie at my house with a mysterious box... when opened revealed the decadent chocolate desserts I had just left behind at the Euro Cafe. They immediately went into the fridge to be enjoyed in private LATER! ( there are some things that must be savored slowly, and under the covers- YES.... I am STILL talking about the chocolate.) She also brought me a gift card to a beloved book store which I shall thoroughly enjoy spending. THANKS NANCIE!!!

I received phone calls from my family and friends wishing me well.. which was delightful. It is so nice to know I am still loved.... even if I am an old woman now.



My VT Lori dropped by with these lovely offerings:







Lori and her daughter Lindsay(who called earlier in the day to wish me a Happy Birthday) are my VTs and they are the most elegant, charming, sweet and gracious women I know. THANK YOU ladies for thinking of me!!!



The children were well behaved (mostly) all day and did what they were asked the first time (mostly)- as every mother knows, that in itself is a wonderful gift.





However, my darling Jocelyn really went the extra mile when she made my bed, cleaned off my computer desk and bedside table, cleaned my bathroom, vacuumed my floor and folded the laundry for me... leaving me little love notes all over the house where she had been. THANK YOU JOCELYN!! for giving me the royal treatment and allowing me to "take it easy" for the day.



We ate my favorite food for dinner : HAMBURGERS ( yes, I am a cheap date!) afterwhich the children went to bed early and I spent the remainder of the evening in a quiet home playing with my new IPOD touch that my sneaky husband surprised me with




( which, as much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE, initially made me upset at him for spending too much money considering that his present to me this year is a week-long trip to BYU for education week!) and reading a book just for fun (something I haven't done in a very very long time)


I felt very spoiled, pampered, loved, appreciated, recognized, and revered all day. I could not have asked for a more perfect 40th Birthday.



And how can I forget the cake which, last night was flat out too sweet and rich to eat. But, today was simply perfect. Turns out the Marscapone mousse improves with age. Yum.


4 comments:

Jo Dee said...

I am glad it was a good one! Hope you live at least 40 more!

kellibattraw said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, which you truly deserve. Man oh man that cake looks good! It's probably a good thing that I wasn't there to help you eat it. : )

Tamee said...

Happy day to you, girl! Sounds like you made a great day of it. Tell Jen Hi! I haven't seen her is a while. And oh, how I wish I was at the Euro with you. Feta fries! Nough said....
Chino is a true keeper. Good things do come out of Florida besides oranges.
So I don't know if I you know but we're have girl number three. My poor little Garrett feels like his whole world is turning pink. He'll survive a be a better man for it.
Happy B-day friend!

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! I love the picture of you and Jenny. Please tell her HI for me. I too would love to see her sometime!