Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Buterbaugh Clan

Every other July, the descendants of Millicent Henry and William Buterbaugh gather at the hunting camp in Big Run, Pennsylvania. Millicent and William (both deceased) had 9 children, 7 of whom are still living..all made it to the reunion this year.

L to R (toprow): Bryan Buterbaugh, Janet Lindblom, Dick) Buterbaugh, Mike Buterbaugh ( bottom row) Jerry Buterbaugh, Nancy Brutout and Joe Buterbaugh

My mother, Janet Buterbaugh Lindblom, was their 6th child.

Mom & Aunt Lucille

My grandmother died when I was only 18 months old. I have felt cheated my entire life, for not knowing her. My grandfather died when I was 8 yrs. old. I have a few memories left of him. The smell of pipe tobacco send those memories racing through my mind like a locomotive!





Janet's crazy bunch


I love attending the reunion because, I get to know my grandparents through their children, siblings, cousins and grandchildren. The stories told about our family while hanging out around the campfire, sitting on the front porch, and gathered around the table are ones I hold dear to my heart as a part of where I come from and who I am.


Grandma's sister, Shirley & her husband Frank

Grandma's brother Charlie with his daughter Jenny and granddaughter

My aunts, uncles and cousins are spread through many states: Arizona, Texas, Rhode Island, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts.. just to name a few.



Jon Jr. & Penny

Beth & Greg


But, put us all together in one big hunting lodge with only 1 shower and 2 toilets and it's like we've never been apart.


the "tweeners" organize dance rehearsals and have a performance ready by the end of the day



With the adults.. it's a throwdown on many fields...

Horseshoes



Blitz

Grilling

Yahtzee, Storytelling, and a game played with these giant metal washers.


Many hugs... a few tears, lots of laughter....quiet reflections, noisy children...fun & games, great food... better conversation..... It's all about family and the amazing legacy left behind by two incredible people.

1 comment:

kellibattraw said...

You make the greatest posts. : )