Giant pandas sometimes give birth to two cubs at a time. In reality, they are only equipped to care for one. So, to ensure that at least one of those cubs grows to adulthood and passes on their genetic qualities, they will often kill and eat the other.At least that is the reason National Geographic gives
I would like to propose a few others:
- perhaps when the cub wakes in the morning to her mother ironing her clothes for school, the cub starts growling, " Why are you ironing my clothes first? You know I don't want to be first."
- maybe it is because after ironing said clothes, the mommy panda, like she does every morning, tosses the clothes to her cub all nice and warm ready to slide into and the cub says, " Don't throw the clothes at me. You wrinkled them. I can't wear them now. "
- or could it possibly be because when the mommy cub retrieves the clothes, hangs them on a hanger and softly tells her cub that when she is ready to get dressed, the clothes will be hung up, unwrinkled, ready for her to put on to which that ever so grateful cub declares, " Now they are cold."
- I think that it is probably because after complaining that her clothes are now wrinkled and cold, that little cub starts thrashing about throwing pillows off beds, pushing aside bedding, kicking her little sister and accusing the mama panda of not loving her one tiny bit.
- By chance, it could be because after 15 solid minutes of screaming, crying, kicking, and complaining about how abused a cub she is, mama has to take her to the back porch so she no longer disturbs the family's morning where she screams as if someone is cutting her legs off.
- Or... after finally gaining enough composure to re-enter the home and get dressed, that stinky little cub complains how she cannot possibly go to school because her hair is not done, she has nothing to take for lunch ( because big sister already claimed the only thermos for soup), she has not eaten breakfast and her shirt is STILL wrinkly.
- Mama panda still shows remarkable patience by taking the little cub to the bathroom where she chooses an adorable purple hair clip for her and curls her hair just right. " Why do I have to have the same hairdo everyday? Sisters can wear curlers in their hair at night and have beautiful hair in the morning. Why can't I?"
- Five deep cleansing breaths later... cub has eaten breakfast, brushed teeth and is off to school with a nutritious lunch clutched in her tiny paw.... mama returns inside only to find that baby sister cub is melting down because today is the last day to turn in December homework ( which she flat out refused to do on multiple occasions) so her Kindergarten teacher would give her candy. Never mind that when she mentioned yesterday that it was due today, she threw it on the ground and went off to play with her new toys. " Its all your fault, mom! You made me clean my room and put away the silverware yesterday. I didnt have time to do my homework." Yup. sounds like one big, mean mama bear to me.
and there you have it. Do not let National Geographic try to explain parental behavior to you. If you are a mama... you already know why some mothers eat their young.



9 comments:
Oh you kill me, no pun intended! I was thinking just this morning how my little cub was lucky to remain living. : )
all I had to see was the title & I knew what you were talking about!!
I just wet myself. That was good.
oh, the joys of motherhood!
I just want my kids to read your post and take it seriously enough to wonder if I could eat them if I got mad enough. It might buy me a couple of weeks of sanity :)
this is great!!!
I don't know if I could even stomach my cub after all that. You are a better mama panda than I.
Now I know why I have no cubs.
Well, it was about that time that I said, "you may now learn to iron your own clothes, as well, to wash them, spot check them and watch for crayons that might be in the pockets so they don't screw up the dryer. Now you are the grown up, go to it!! I did not have to eat you but you learned to put up or shut up!!
Post a Comment