Monday, August 24, 2009

...But First

I can't wait to tell you all about my trip to BYU Education Week. My brain is so full of all kinds of amazing new facts and gospel insights! But first, I would like to share a few of the other things I learned about Education week that I wished I had known a little earlier....

1. When the dorms say they will provide you with bath linens, what they really mean is we will give you a washcloth and napkin.

2. If you want ice cream( or anything else for that matter) at the creamery on 9th... get there before Tuesday or you will be waiting in lines comparable to Disneyland. ( Really? Is the ice cream THAT good????)

3. Teenagers are not the only ones with selective hearing. At the beginning of each class, the host would ask for all cell phones to be turned off. No lie... at least one rang EVERY SINGLE CLASS I attended. Seriously? If people can't be obedient to a simple little cell phone request.. what do they do with things like the law of tithing? No Wonder the rest of us have to work so hard.


4. If you ever take a class in the Benson building... take the elevator back to street level. Especially if you are old and out of shape like me. Had I any breath left after the 100 stairs I climbed to get out of that place... I would have begged for a medic!



5. There are some super super smart people in this world... and I am definitely not one of them. ( Some day!!!!) But these guys are:

Prof. Richard Holzapfel

Prof. Robert L. Millet

Prof. Donald W. Parry


6. Marvin Goldstein is a really really funny guy... and one of the most talented arrangers I have ever seen.


This picture is bad... I know it. But, I was trying hard not to look like an Ed. Week nerd- being all gobsmacked over the presenters!!!


7. You must train for a minimum of 2 weeks on a treadmill set at a fairly steep incline prior to attending Education Week if you do not want to have sore legs after day 1.


This is how the campus looked at the beginning of the week



This is what it looked like at the end of the week. ( My classes were atop the mount!)

8. God does not mind if people fly into the state of Utah... but He DEFINITELY does not like to see them go.... That flight from Utah back to Arizona was a double puker!!!



9. If you do not want wicked gas from eating nasty campus food..... YOU MUST make the trek to the new Cannon Center Commons. Very impressive and definitely worth the walk.





10. BYU Brownies are apparantly world famous. ( Still trying to figure this one out) so don't fight it... just eat one.




11. Susan Easton Black has to be the most knowledgable woman alive regarding church history....well worth being tutored by even if her voice is just the tiniest bit difficult to listen to AND you have to walk ALL THE WAY to the Marriott Center.



12. BYU is the cleanest, nicest, friendliest, most peaceful, modest college campus I have ever set foot upon... I am definitely re-thinking my anti-BYU attitude.




13. The new Oquirrh temple is on the way to the SLC Airport and it is GORGEOUS!!




Why yes, I did take this amazing photo...thank you.



14. The bell tower plays Come Come Ye Saints every hour... and the first 20 times you hear it, you want to weep.


Well, that pretty much sums up all the stuff you REALLY need to know.... Hope you all get the chance to go someday 'cause it was truly an amazing experience.

10 comments:

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

are you going next year? Maybe I can hope that I could too... it sounds amazing! When I was in college I went to visit my best friend who was going to BYU & it changed my mind about it too. isn't it a beautiful campus?!

Nancie said...

The day I become independantly wealthy and no longer have to teach for a living I will come and join you at Education Week. Sounds like a wonderful experience---I am so happy you had the chance to go!

The Cluffs said...

I am there with you next year...

Janet said...

Me too!!! We will need to walk lots before we go, but, then with all the walking we do here, I am wondering if I will need it?? But then, I will be one year older, so, I will rethink that one!! Wouldn't it be nice if we could all go?? And maybe drive instead of fly??

kellibattraw said...

I'm so glad you had the chance to go!

Suz said...

Can I go with you next year? If we plan now I think I'll be able to.

hanna (kmcaldwell) said...

I LOVE BYU!!! and you got the " byu temple" haha and of course i want to go next year with you that would be so fun. but i think the stair thing would be ok, at efy i had to walk up and down the stairs like 50 times a day because i was on the top floor and there was no elevator!

hanna (kmcaldwell) said...

Now you can see how very easy it is for Keith to Brain wash our children into thinking that BYU is the school for them. I still have a lot of Devil in me - GO ASU - because that is where lasting friends are made. I am thrilled that you were able to go to Education week. I wish it wasn't the first week back for me teaching because I definately would love to go.

Marie

Carol said...

I love BYU. I so wish the Education Week wasn't the first week of school. I used to go all the time and loved it. Except now when I go on campus the students look so YOUNG. I'm pretty sure I was much older and mature when I went there.

Tech Family said...

It looks like soo much fun!! I had to laugh at the towels! It reminded me of our trip to NAU for Horizons. The towels were the same if I remember correctly.